Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fwd: From Kerry- The Woman of the Hour


Let's begin this email to all of you with words from Kerry:

"Thank you for all your prayers and thoughts.  I just started the physical therapy and I'm hoping to be on my feet shortly. Luckily, I happened to lose my job before all of this happened (HA HA).  At least I won't have to deal with the mess at work now!  I love you all and YOU are in my thoughts daily."

Kerry is so grateful for all of your cards (we are starting to read them to her now) and she learned today about the blog created for her, so she wanted to write everyone her OWN message!

As Lynn already wrote-- Kerry had a STELLAR day! Seeing her sitting on the edge of her bed ON HER OWN (albeit in a chest brace) was tear-rendering. It was excruciating for her, and she was initially resistant-- but she did it!  The PT compared it to someone running a marathon for the first time.  When she was finally finished, she said to the PT (while smiling), "Sorry for being such an ass"--causing everyone in the room to laugh!  It is just like Kerry to be polite and feisty in the same sentence.  More than anything, it is great to see her sense of humor back! (by the way, she gave me permission to quote her using a 'bad word' in this email!)

Although the PT session wiped her out for 2 straight hours afterward, she was awake most of the remainder of the day and eating more (and therefore eliminating her lunch and dinner "bolus"-- I'll let all of you look up that word yourselves!). The nutritionist says she'll probably be off the feeding tube in a couple of days.  Lynn and I think we should open a "gourmet hospital food" company after viewing (and smelling) what they serve.

Her attending nurse today thinks she will be off the trach soon (she has had nothing to suction the last few days), but this will have to be confirmed by the pulmonary doctor when he visits her this week.

John wins the "devoted husband of the year" award-- Kerry's face lights up for him like for no other person who enters her room.  Yesterday, he cheered her on while she did 100 (yea, that's right, count 'em) leg lifts on EACH leg. He wants to be there when the doors open in the morning until they kick him out at night!

Stay tuned for another message from Kerry tomorrow-- I am her secretary taking dictation for her!  Oh, and by the way, did I mention that Kerry spoke to Hayden and Kyla on the telephone today?  We also tried calling Mary Alice, but my cell phone wouldn't let me call internationally!  So, M.A. don't forget to call tomorrow on my phone-- Kerry is eager to speak to you, too!

Love,
Jen








No comments:

Well Wishes for our Kerry & John

This site will be the repository for all of our thoughts and well wishes for Kerry & John during this time...