Monday, March 9, 2009

Kerry, for now!



 
It is Sunday night and Kerry has had 2 days of rest with abbreviated PT sessions over the weekend, walking and using her left hand.  At the end of even these shorter sessions she seems to be extremely exhausted and ready to get her "armor" off and back to her bed.  The unit is wonderful that she is in; the nurses, friendly, responsive, helpful and most of all kind.  As Barb Draves said to me once, you can teach nursing skills to almost anyone, but you cannot teach "nice".  And nice is so important to such ailing people as Kerry now is.  It makes all the difference in her mental health state. 
 
Tomorrow hopefully she will be given a cane to further her walking skills and confidence level.  Doc has given the ok for that.  She has such a long long way to go to be the happy and cheerful and jovial and naughty Kerry that those of us who know her know.  She is quiet, serious, and continues to have a rather bland affect.  I can attribute that all to the pain meds she is still on and the general fatigue level at which she is functioning.  This will all change when those factors change, I tell myself. 
 
 We persist in our hope and patience.  Her husband John is temporarily out of work due to the working conditions here in Fla and that is a blessing as he spends so so much time with her in a loving and tender way.  He is really her rock thru all of this, I am simply a backup source of energy for him.  This is all a joint effort.  Tuesday I must return to Cleveland and my house for awhile.  I am beginning to feel the effects of serious burnout and I can see it, so I go for a while.  I will come back in 2 weeks when she most probably will be in a nursing home for the duration.  Her insurance wont give her any more time in rehab facility but will pick up on the nursing home.  Hopefully, cross your many fingers for her, that she will get into Harbor Chase here in Venice very close to her home and friends, and where she once worked and knows so many people still there. 
 
She still has a terrible wound on her upper left arm. A hole deep into the fat of her arm, about 3 inchs down.  It is an ugly sight and must be cleansed and dressed anew each day.  She has MRSA in the wound and that is a serious prob.  Cross all fingers please for its healthy recovery.      Thank you for your prayers, crossed fingers, and good wishes.  I will update everyone later in this week coming as I have news from John. 
 
thank you everyone!!!!     LYNN

No comments:

Well Wishes for our Kerry & John

This site will be the repository for all of our thoughts and well wishes for Kerry & John during this time...